SCORE Curriculum Outline
- The SCORE® Curriculum Outline for General Surgery Residency is a list of patient care and medical knowledge topics to be covered in a five-year general surgery residency training program. Originally published in 2008, it is updated annually with input from SCORE member organizations and specialty surgical societies. This outline has been approved by SCORE as the basis for a full surgical residency curriculum.
- The Patient Care outline consists of 28 organ system-based categories containing a total of 544 topics. Each category is separated into diseases/conditions (broad and focused) and operations/procedures (essential-common, essential-uncommon, and complex). The Medical Knowledge section contains 13 categories and 79 topics.
- The outline for 2014-2015 is now availablesee links below. Copies will also be mailed to ACGME-accredited general surgery programs. For this year's edition, several procedures have been consolidated and some Complex topics removed. The Excel version contains tabs listing all changes made this year. Note topic names may not directly match those currently on the SCORE Portal; this outline is forward-looking, reflecting the latest updates.
- 2014-2015 SCORE Curriculum Outline - PDF version
- 2014-2015 SCORE Curriculum Outline - Excel version
SCORE is a nonprofit consortium of U.S. surgical organizations, including the ABS, with the mission of improving the education of residents in general surgery and its related subspecialties. For more information about SCORE, see our About SCORE page or visit www.surgicalcore.org.
Updated: July 2014