Complex General Surgical Oncology Qualifying Exam
- Individuals who complete a surgical oncology fellowship in the 2018-2019 academic year or thereafter will have no more than 7 academic years immediately following training to become certified (i.e., pass both the QE and CE). See Exam Opportunities below for details.
To be eligible for this exam, applicants must:
- Individuals who meet ABS requirements may apply for the exam through the online application process, which is posted in early spring (see How to Apply). After your application is approved, you will be sent instructions on how to register for this year's exam.
- Once you are registered for the exam, you will be mailed an exam admission authorization letter with final details and instructions on reserving a place at a computer-testing center. You must have this letter to reserve a testing center spot.
- Active duty military personnel who may encounter difficulty taking the exam due to their service should contact the ABS as soon as possible. Please see How to Apply for information about other exam accommodations.
- Individuals who complete a surgical oncology fellowship in the 2018-2019 academic year or thereafter will have no more than 7 academic years following residency to complete the certification process (i.e., pass both the QE and CE). The 7-year period begins immediately upon completion of residency.
- Upon application approval, applicants will be granted up to 4 opportunities within a 4-year period to pass the QE, providing they applied immediately after training. Individuals who delay in applying will lose opportunities to take and pass the QE.
- If the applicant decides not to take the exam in a given year, it is a lost opportunity. See our exam admissibility policy for further details.
- Individuals who completed training prior to July 1, 2018, were granted up to 5 opportunities within a 5-year period.
- During the four-year period, individuals who postponed or were unsuccessful will be contacted regarding the next exam; a new application is not necessary.
- The above limits are absolute. Individuals who exhaust their four-year admissibility period should contact the ABS regarding the readmissibility requirements in effect at that time.
CGSO Certifying Exam
- Upon successful completion of the CGSO Qualifying Exam, you will be admissible to the CGSO Certifying Exam, an oral exam, and will be contacted with registration information for the next exam.
For specific inquiries, please send an email to the exam coordinator.